The Moat Community College Curriculum
The Moat Community College curriculum is broad, balanced and suited to the needs of all our students.
At KS3 all students follow the national curriculum, including PDP (Personal development).
At KS4 all students study core and foundation subjects and four GCSE (or equivalent) options, one of which will be either geography or history.
Our curriculum allows our students to develop intellectually, creatively, socially and physically.
- The curriculum supports and builds on the college values; honesty, kindness, respect, responsibility and learning excellence.
- The curriculum should motivate all students to want to learn, it provides enjoyment, boosts self-esteem and raises aspirations.
- It promotes spiritual, moral, social and cultural development.
- All students should develop as rounded citizens through the totality of their educational experience.
- Our aim is that all students will be able to express themselves in a confident, friendly manner
- The curriculum promotes the acquisition of personal, learning and thinking skills
- All subjects will emphasise the teaching, learning, assessment and progression in cross curricular skills
- Our curriculum has cultural capital and promotes understanding of how wider society functions and the individual’s place within it.
- It emphasises the importance of literacy and numeracy.
- There is a consistency in approach to spoken English, an engendering a love of reading and a development of an understanding of academic register in spoken and written responses.
- All students should be equipped with the knowledge, skills and understanding to achieve as highly as possible at KS4 and beyond.
- Our careers strategy is part of our curriculum. It features in all subject areas, assemblies and events.
- We have a consistency of approach in lessons to learning and behaviour. There is good support for students in terms of closing gaps and removing barriers to learning.
A Broad Curriculum
We recognise that some of our students may have a cultural and literacy deficit when they join the school. A major part of our intent is to address this. However, we recognise that to be successful academically, we need to support our students in developing the subject specific culture and literacy knowledge to be successful learners at higher levels (grades 7-9).
We operate a three-year KS4. This allows us to have more study hours for the core curriculum and to provide four option subjects. We make sure that there is enough study time at KS3 for all students to experience as full a curriculum as possible.
Parents or other members of the public can find out more about the curriculum Moat is following by contacting us on 0116 2625705 or emailing email@example.com
Key stage 4 Courses
Courses available to pupils at key stage 4, including GCSEs
- Computer Science/Information Technology
- English Language
- English Literature
- Personal Development Education
- Physical Education
- Religious Education
- Business Studies
- Computer Science
- Design & Technology
- Engineering Studies
- English as Foreign Language
- Film Studies
- Fine Art
- Food Technology
- Health & Social Care
- Religious Studies
- RSL Level 2 Certificate in Performance for Music
- Skills for Life
- Sports Leadership